This page describes the recent format (as of Spring 2021) of the EEGR3523 Mechatronics class taught at LeTourneau University. This is an undergraduate class of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering that introduces system modeling, control systems, and electric machines. Information about the 2019 version of the class is available.
Mechatronics--An Integrated Approach by C. de Silva, CRC Press, 2005.
Electric Machines and Electromechanics, 2nd edition, Schaum's Series, by S. A. Nasar, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
Assignments: The class has a hands-on team project and weekly homework assignments. MATLAB and Simulink are used for simulation.
Sample Homework Sets: See the 2019 homework assignments; two of the simulation problems refer to the files solveexample.m and state_intro.mdl.
Lectures: Each of the three main topics of the class (modeling, control systems, and electric machines) are covered for about one third of the semester. The following topics have been addressed:
- System Modeling [pptx][pdf].
- Basic Electrical and Mechanical Components.
- Equations in the Time Domain and the Laplace Domain.
- Motion Mechanisms.
- Review of the Laplace Transform [pptx][pdf]
- Transfer Functions [pptx][pdf]
- Transfer Function Introduction.
- Deriving Transfer Function Models.
- The Transient Response.
- The Steady-State Response to Step and Harmonic Excitations.
- State-Space Models [pptx][pdf]
- Block Diagrams.
- Simplifying Block Diagarams.
- Mason's Gain Formula.
- Introduction to Control Systems.
- Control System Stability. The Routh-Hurwitz Criterion. [pptx][pdf]
- Controller Design for Steady-State Error Specifications [pptx][pdf].
- Controller Design for Time-Response Specifications.
- First and Second Order Systems. [pptx][pdf]
- First and Second Order Approximations. [pptx][pdf]
- Controller Implementation. Operational Amplifiers. [pptx][pdf]
- DC Machines.
- Introduction to DC Motors and Generators. [pptx][pdf]
- Electrical-Model Equations. [pptx][pdf]
- Losses. Construction. [pptx][pdf]
- Motor Selection. [pptx][pdf]
- AC Machines.
- Synchronous Motors. Induction Motors. [pptx][pdf]
- Single-Phase Induction Motors. [pptx][pdf]
- Stepper Motors. [pptx][pdf]
Handouts: Basic Components, The Laplace Transform, Basic Operational Amplifier Circuits.